Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Lake Kedron - June 2 & 3, 2013

As a resident of Palmetto, finding public fishing waters is often a challenge and when you do happen upon a good location, often times it has been pretty heavily fished out. Peachtree City is home to several lakes that are fantastic for fishing, but they are restricted to Peachtree City residents and accompanied guests. There is one lake though just inside Peachtree City that is owned and maintained by Fayette County which opens it to the public. Kedron Lake is found in the Kedron area of Peachtree City and is a perfect family destination for fishermen and non fishermen alike. The lake features a full concrete boat ramp, playground for the children, and a large network of docks for non-boaters. The lake does have a restriction for boats requiring that gas powered motor never go above idle speed, but there is no limit to actual boat or motor size. The docks are a fantastic place to relax, fish, feed the ducks and geese, or just watch a sunset over the water.

With the docks being such a desirable feature of the lake, there are always several families in attendance even during the week. The fishing pressure is fairly heavy and makes finding a bite, especially a bass bite, pretty difficult. There is one place though nearby that is not nearly as accessible, but well worth the effort to get your hook in the water. As you exit the parking lot near the playground, there is a golf cart path that crosses the street and reveals a small overflow pond. Once you have crossed the street you have the option to go right, along the length of the pond, or left to the bridge.


I started fishing late in the evening around 6 pm at the far end of the pond with a Pop-R in the shallow water. I didn't get any strikes and in hindsight, the water had a little too much trash on the surface after some rain that came through a few hours earlier. I switched to a black and red Zoom Worm set up Texas Rig and started fishing it nice and slow. I didn't get any activity in the shallows so I started moving back up the road and finding little holes in the foliage to cast through. Most of the time a full cast was impossible but with a little finesse and a good flipping rods you can get the lure out fairly well.



The first hole I came too had a very limited casting space but I managed to make a few casts and hook into the first bass of the evening. The bite was not very aggressive at all and the only way I actually knew for sure that a fish had my worm was that I watched my line moving to the side without me! I set the hook less than 10 feet from the bank and this little 12 inch bass put up one hell of a fight. It was a great way to kick off the evening.



I fished two more small holes and got bites in both, but with no hook ups. I moved back up to where the cart path forks and found a nice little area to get some good casts out. On the first cast I felt a good hard tug, but was unsuccessful in setting the hook. I reeled in quickly and cast back just past where I felt the bite and fished the worm slowly back through the area. Again a small tug, but this time the line was moving on it's own again so I set the hook and caught this nice Warmouth Bream! At least I think it was a Warmouth. The mouth was really large for other species of Bream and the fins were unlike most others. In any case, Bream are one of the hardest fighting freshwater pan fish so this fight was a lot of fun bringing the fish in.




I moved down to the last spot of the evening, beside the cart path bridge. As soon as I walked up I spooked a nice sized fish that was sitting right on the bank where I was going to be standing. This bridge is a great location for several reasons. There is rip-rap on the other bank as well as nice cover all around. The water right under the bridge is pretty and I'm thinking there are probably some really large Big Mouths hanging out down there. The second cast I made was to my right into some open water and like the other fish of the day, I got a small tug and watched the line take off. I set the hook and brought in a nice little bass that was very long and put up a really nice fight. The bass turned out to be around 15 inches, but lost some of his weight due to being a kind of skinny 15 inches.


This was a great evening at the pond playing with some hard fighting fish. Even though none of them were really big, they were still a LOT of fun to catch. The next evening I went back to the pond rigged the same way and could not buy a bite. Right as the sun was almost completely gone, I managed to catch 3 bass on the docks using a blue/clear rattling Pop-R. They weren't very big, but still meant I didn't get skunked! I really like Kedron and it makes for a great escape after a hard day's work. If you are ever in the area be sure to spend a little time on the docks!

Let's Go Fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment